Come join our team of Homeownership Advisors and help first-time and first-generation homebuyers achieve their goal of homeownership.
MAHA is a non-profit community organization that is dedicated to increasing affordable homeownership opportunities, breaking down barriers for first-time and first-generation homebuyers, and closing the racial homeownership gap in Massachusetts.
MAHA was founded in 1985 and our office is located in Dorchester. We offer homebuyer, homeowner and condo owner classes in English, Spanish and Haitian Creole, both virtually and in-person. The classes and services we offer are supported by the city of Boston, Massachusetts Housing Partnership, and other funders. MAHA works extensively to enforce the Community Reinvestment Act, a state and federal law which requires banks to meet the credit needs of low- and moderate-income neighborhoods.
We are currently looking for a Homeownership Advisor to work with low- and moderate-income homebuyers and homeowners in Greater Boston. The homeownership advisor will organize, coordinate and teach homebuying classes for low and moderate-income community residents.
Our office is located in Dorchester, MA. This is a hybrid position that will require the first 6 months working in the office.
Salary & Benefits:
• Annual Salary: $50,000
• Employer pays 90% of health care & 50% dental
• 3 weeks paid vacation a year, PLUS an additional week off during Christmas break
- Organize, coordinate and teach homeowner classes and homebuying classes for low- and moderate-income community residents. This will require work in the evenings and weekends.
- Conduct outreach for MAHA through staffing information tables, contacting community organizations, media outlets, etc.
- Provide one-to-one counseling for homebuyers and homeowners about credit, homebuying, foreclosure prevention, budgeting and other topics, including purchasing multi-family properties.
- Inform class attendees about MAHA’s organizing activities.
- Work with community groups, insurance companies, hardware stores, realtors, banks, and others in the community to publicize and expand HomeSafe, ONE mortgage, and homebuyer education programs.
- Fully participate with MAHA staff and members in organization-wide activities and grassroots fundraising efforts, including specific duties related to our annual Taste of Dorchester event.
- Conduct data entry and surveys designed to track graduates and evaluate our education and counseling efforts as required by various funders.
- Coordinate meetings annually with HomeSafe insurance discount providers to share data, discuss curriculum and increase marketing of the program.
- Conduct periodic data calls with insurance companies regarding loss information (cause of loss, loss ratio, frequency and severity).
- Work with MHP and other stakeholders cooperatively as we explore a possible re-design of HomeSafe including offering online or hybrid classes.
- Other duties as designated by the Executive Director
- Commitment to involving low- and moderate-income people in community efforts. Commitment to grassroots community organizing and affordable housing issues.
- Ability and willingness to work regular evening and weekend hours.
- Previous experience/involvement with issues facing low- and moderate-income homebuyers is preferred. Previous homebuyer advising/counseling experience; experience working or volunteering with community organizations; and/or training or teaching experience is helpful.
- HUD Housing Counseling certification is mandatory either at the outset or within 6 months of hiring.
- Ability and experience in working with different types of people and personalities.
- Great communication skills and writing skills. Must be comfortable speaking in large groups of 10+
- Access to a car is essential.
- Persons of color and bilingual persons are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, send resume AND cover letter via email by October 13th 2023 to:
- Shauntelle McKain, Director of Homeownership Operations: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please also Cc: Symone Crawford, Executive Director: email@example.com
If you have questions, email Shauntelle McKain at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.